Friday, March 12, 2010

Sugar crisis

One of my favorite things about Xela is that everyone else is as crazy about sweets as I am. Ice cream, donuts, chocobananas, and my personal favorite, churros stuffed with condensed milk. Delicious.

But this is all in danger! Some kind of deal was made with the trade unionists in Mexico that has resulted in the sugar price there rising dramatically. Clever speculators in Guatemala have bought up all of the sugar here and are taking it north where they can demand a higher price. Everyone is afraid that sugar will stop being available or the price will rise here, too, so are buying up sugar as fast as they can. My bakery hung up a sign that they will only sell 1 pound of sugar per customer. What is going to happen to all of my favorite snacks?!?

Note: I am not blaming the Mexican trade unions for this situation, I am sure they are still paid far below what they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment